Babar the Elephant is a well-loved book character created by Jean de Brunhoff. Click the link for more info about him and his friends, but actually, this page is an episode guide for the TV series, which ran from 1989-1991 for the original 5 seasons, and late 2000 for the final 6th season (which is covered here too). (It doesn’t count the new CGI series which airs now since, I haven’t watched it and I don’t know if it’s good).
(Unfinished for now, but I WILL finish it, trust me on this. 😉 apologies)
The first 5 episodes, which tell the story of how Babar founded Celesteville, were adapted into a movie called Babar: King of the Elephants. (A Babar: The Movie was released before that.)
Episode 10: The Show Must Go On
Weirdest one. Here are its oddities: (I do like it, but the previous seasons were better because this one feels like it came from a different show.)
- It’s serialized (like the first 5 episodes of the show).
- Pompadour, Cornelius, the Old Lady (one of my favorite characters, so…), Lord Rataxes (another one of my faves), Lady Rataxes (yet another of my faves), Arthur, and Isabelle do not appear (except in the first episode of this season; even then no Rhinos!). (Worst one 😉 Although there’s a good reason for some of ’em not coming, but why not Arthur and/or the Old Lady? Pompadour and Cornelius would’ve made the episodes a bit more funny and interesting, too..) (About Rataxes, Cornelius and Pompadour: Two of the reused pieces of music in this season taunt me, since one is the music for Rataxes and the other is for Cornelius and Pompadour… 😉 )
- Different animation style. The lines are thicker, it’s brighter, etc.
- It seems more like a typical kids show! 😉 Not fully, but… (At least the morals are good.)
- Different theme song.
- It’s very slow-paced, unlike the other seasons. The… characters… talk… like… this. Not all the time, but… Or sometimes, they talk like this… and stuff… and… 😉
- Different pronunciation for Babar’s name: The previous seasons had Baa-bar as his name, but Buh-bar’s the pronunciation here. That is the intended pronunciation by Brunhoff, but I prefer Baa-bar.
- Better quality sound (best one 😉 ).
- The morals here are anvilicious, unlike the other seasons. 😉
- No 10 yet, oh well. 😉
Morals for each episode (taken from YT Description and edited a bit):
- Adventure on Big Island: “Never judge a book by its cover.” (reminds me of Conga the Terrible (earlier Babar episode), where Conga was a good gorilla! 😉 ).
- Land of Games: “It doesn’t matter whether you win or lose as long as you have fun!”
- Land of Toys: “Fixing a problem is much better than throwing it away.”
- Land of Ice: “Things aren’t always as they seem.”
- Land of Pirates: “What goes around comes around.”
- Land of Witches: “Teamwork will always win in the end.”
Land of Mysterious Water: “You’ll never learn to do new things unless you try them.”
Land of Underground: Not really specific, just something about making your own fun and not being a troublemaker.
The Seabed Land: “Bullies always lose in the long run.” (Also a turtle appears in King Tuttle’s Vote as King Tuttle. 😉 )
- Land of the Treats: “Kindness is much better than being mean.” (Duh! 😉 Same as previous, too! 😉 Also, no living treats here sadly 😉 Just animal inhabitants. 🙂 )
- Land of the Treasure Hunt: “Cheaters never prosper and hard work does pay off in the end!”
- Land of Happiness: “There truly is no place like home.”
Updated on Dec 19, 2018 (and earlier).